From: Perry Smith <pedzsan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Patch for openssl config script -- but not really
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:26:54
1 On Dec 23, 2010, at 8:10 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2
3 > On 23-12-2010 08:08:28 -0600, Perry Smith wrote:
4 >>> I've not seen such problems since I do </dev/null.
5 >>> Does it help to redirect stdin from /dev/null for you too?
6 >>
7 >> I'm not sure when you are suggesting to do the redirect. It would cause the stty to fail and the read
8 >> would return immediately so it would avoid hanging forever.
9 >>
10 >> I've never seen this before (a configure script that pauses or expects input). Given that Portage is a 'batch' type
11 >> concept, maybe the redirect should be part of Portage.
12 >
13 > It should be IIRC, based on FEATURES=interactive. Anyway, if /bin/sh is
14 > an issue on AIX, perhaps we better run their configure script with
15 > Prefix'/bootstrap's bash instead?
18 Seems like to get any type of wide spread stability between platforms and
19 releases, you would want to use as few native elements as possible. So,
20 using a bash that you have control over seems wise in the long term. The
21 question is if this config script uses anything in ksh that isn't in bash. I would
22 assume not since many /bin/sh's point to bash on other platforms (mac for
23 example).
24
25 The other thing is to be sure that the shell knows that it is running a script
26 and is not interactive. If you passed bash the wrong flag, I bet it would
27 make the same mistake and read input in raw mode so that the user could
28 do command line editing (which you don't want in this case).
29
30 pedz