From: Perry Smith <pedzsan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Patch for openssl config script -- but not really
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:26:54
On Dec 23, 2010, at 8:10 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> On 23-12-2010 08:08:28 -0600, Perry Smith wrote: >>> I've not seen such problems since I do </dev/null. >>> Does it help to redirect stdin from /dev/null for you too? >> >> I'm not sure when you are suggesting to do the redirect. It would cause the stty to fail and the read >> would return immediately so it would avoid hanging forever. >> >> I've never seen this before (a configure script that pauses or expects input). Given that Portage is a 'batch' type >> concept, maybe the redirect should be part of Portage. > > It should be IIRC, based on FEATURES=interactive. Anyway, if /bin/sh is > an issue on AIX, perhaps we better run their configure script with > Prefix'/bootstrap's bash instead?
Seems like to get any type of wide spread stability between platforms and releases, you would want to use as few native elements as possible. So, using a bash that you have control over seems wise in the long term. The question is if this config script uses anything in ksh that isn't in bash. I would assume not since many /bin/sh's point to bash on other platforms (mac for example). The other thing is to be sure that the shell knows that it is running a script and is not interactive. If you passed bash the wrong flag, I bet it would make the same mistake and read input in raw mode so that the user could do command line editing (which you don't want in this case). pedz