From: heroxbd@×××××.com
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Cc: egg.plant@××××××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: desktop experience on smartphone: thoughts and plans
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 05:59:56
1 Dear Egg Plant,
2
3 I will make one reply, to the gentoo-alt list.
4
5 Egg Plant <egg.plant@××××××××××.com> writes:
6
7 > You may take a look at the "libhybris" project. It's being used by the
8 > Sailfish OS & probably Ubuntu in future. Now some Intel developers are
9 > also showing interest in it and is being integrated with Wayland.
10 >
11 > https://github.com/libhybris/libhybris
12 > https://github.com/stskeeps/libhybris
13 >
14 > -->sourcecode present & previous
15 >
16 > http://mer-project.blogspot.fi/2013/04/wayland-utilizing-android-gpu-drivers.html
17 > http://mer-project.blogspot.fi/2013/05/wayland-utilizing-android-gpu-drivers.html
18 > -->Carsten Munk's posting, he is the original developer & now the
19 > Chief Research Engineer in Jolla, which develop Sailfish OS.
20 >
21 > http://www.merproject.org/
22 > https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Main_Page
23 > -->Mer project & its wiki. It works as backend of several OS under development for embeded devices.
24 >
25 > http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/04/08/libhybris-let-you-use-android-drivers-hw-libraries-in-linux/
26 > -->some more info
27 >
28 > https://launchpad.net/libhybris
29 > -->"libhybris" at Canonical Ubuntu
30 >
31 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybris_%28software%29
32 > -->The wikipedia article seems a little confusing.
33 >
34 > [DISCLAIMER: I have very little knowledge about programming & kernel,
35 > so may be I am associating wrong projects with your project. I am in
36 > any way not associated with the above mentioned sites & projects.]
37
38 Thanks a lot for these pointers. I have browsed it through.
39
40 I am sure the graphics of Gentoo on Android needs to depend on hybris
41 and wayland. But the details are not there yet.
42
43 Right now we only have a functional base Gentoo available on Android
44 devices.
45
46 > Waiting for your success... to reach my Android device!! I mean your
47 > project... ;-)
48
49 Take a look at the project page at
50
51 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android
52
53 You are more than welcomed to test it out on your device.
54
55 > I think it will be better if there is a sticky in the Gentoo
56 > Discussion Forums under "Gentoo on Alternative Architectures" on
57 > "Gentoo on Android".
58
59 To update the status regularly?
60
61 > Or, is their any dedicated mailing list to discuss problems
62 > encountered in using this project?
63
64 > Or, it will be Bugzilla & IRC only as of now?
65
66 No, I just hang around gentoo-{dev,alt}, and use official Gentoo
67 bugzilla.
68
69 Therefore all the development activities are found in Gentoo
70 infrastructure.
71
72 > May be I am thinking too fast!
73
74 > Please enlighten me, if you get some time from your busy life. :)
75
76 Just get a Gentoo on your Android device as a starting point.
77
78 There is absolutely no code for graphics yet. It would be super cool if
79 you would like to contribute to it.
80
81 Cheers,
82 Benda