From: Peter Abrahamsen <rainhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Portability of Prefixed installs?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:26:03
1 Hi Fabian,
2
3 On Jun 24, 2008, at 11:50 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
4 > Portage is not designed to be "handed over" to anyone. However, there
5 > should be just one place in Portage itself where the user is set (this
6 > pym/portage/const_autotool.py). It may implicitly encode it in
7 > installed packages, but this is due to the nature of those packages
8 > that
9 > do that themselves.
10
11 Fair enough, but couldn't that script just set it to ${USER}? Is there
12 something unsafe about that?
13
14 > Maybe one of the two following things is interesting to you:
15 > - binary packages
16 > Prefix Portage can install from binary packages made for "another"
17 > Prefix. You could use them to get each developer to quickly get up
19 > speed, in their own Prefix installation.
20
21 Actually, that's a really good idea, I hadn't thought of using binary
22 packages with prefix.
23
24 I'm in the process of moving management of our servers into puppet (http://puppet.reductivelabs.com/
25 ), which I'm also using to distribute our overlay. There's no reason
26 our prefixed installs couldn't use this as well, allowing us to ensure
27 that everyone has the right version of the core dependencies of our
28 project (installed via binary package) without blowing away anything
29 they might have going on.
30
31 Thanks to all contributers for your work, it's really nice to be able
32 to manage my OS X box with the tools I already know.
33
34 Peter
35 --
36 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list