From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Names of Prefix variants
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:13:10
1 Hey Ruud,
2
3 Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o> writes:
4
5 > I hereby christen the two variants of gentoo prefix "prefix guest" for the
6 > variant that has nongentoo include and library search paths and a nongentoo
7 > dynamic linker; and "prefix standalone" for which the dynamic linker and all
8 > search paths are strictly inside the prefix installation.
9
10 Fine with me.
11
12 > I will introduce a single new USE flag, masked in nonprefix profiles
13 > and forced in prefix guest profiles, "prefix-guest"; this USE flag
14 > with codify exactly the two properties specified above. I have decided
15 > not to use a second USE flag for the alternative after all; a look
16 > through the tree has shown that this would be useful at exactly one
17 > place (toolchain.eclass) and nowhere else, and at that point it's just
18 > a waste of complexity.
19
20 Fine with me.
21
22 > I will not use a USE_EXPAND variable, because there isn't really a
23 > (relevant) single setting that can take on multiple values across
24 > different prefix variants; rather, there is just the single deviation
25 > from normal gentoo system setups which may or may not apply to a given
26 > prefix variant, so a simple USE flag saying "this 'feature' is in
27 > effect" is the appropriate tool for the job.
28
29 Fine with me, too.
30
31 > I will create profiles
32 > default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix/{guest,standalone}, of which the first
33 > is a link to prefix/linux/$arch and the second is the new profile to
34 > be written. I will not for now name either the "default" prefix
35 > profile on linux archs per the name default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix,
36 > as I think that choice is best delayed until after we have more
37 > experience with how well the two variants work in practice; naming one
38 > the default is easy, but changing this decision later on is hard
39 > without breaking compatibility. Thus, for now
40 > default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix will stay empty.
41
42 > I will create a common base for the two variant profiles in features/prefix,
43 > with both variant profiles inheriting it. After all, the majority of profile
44 > hacks in the current prefix profiles would apply in full force in
45 > prefix-standalone.
46
47 To rephrase, put the greatest common divisor of {guest,standalone} to
48 features/prefix, with default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix inheriting it.
49
50 > Unless there are any complaints, I'm planning to make all this a reality in a
51 > few days.
52
53 Great! Let's stick to this plan and get it DONE.
54
55 Cheers,
56 Benda