From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] gnulib (required for java on aix)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:31:49
1 Heads-up:
2
3 First, virtual/jdk:1.6 and virtual/jdk:1.5 are available on ppc-aix now,
4 provided by dev-java/ibm-jdk-bin, which has been in-tree for linux
5 already.
6
7 One of the prerequisites for that is app-portage/portage-util,
8 consisting of linux-only sourcecode.
9
10 To get this flow with _minor_ changes on AIX, I've found dev-libs/gnulib
11 already existing upstream. Using that's 'gnulib-tool' I'm now creating
12 an autotoolized package installing libgnu.a and some headers on-the-fly,
13 designed to provide many GNU-ish functions missing in the host's libc.
14
15 If a package already contains some gnulib modules, using 'gnulib-tool'
16 it should be possible to easily upgrade them or add new ones (haven't
17 tried this yet).
18
19 OTOH, if a package does not ship with gnulib modules, or does not use
20 autotools at all, it's easier to use the installed libgnu.a, simply by:
21 append-flags -I"${EPREFIX}"/usr/$(get_libdir)/gnulib/include
22 append-ldflags -L"${EPREFIX}"/usr/$(get_libdir)/gnulib/lib -lgnu
23
24 Eventually we could think of having flag-o-matic.eclass provide some
25 append-gnulib-flags
26
27 The current gnulib-modules in that libgnu.a are:
28 getopt
29 strcasestr
30 xvasprintf
31 and their dependencies.
32
33 It does not work to pull in all ~1000 gnulib-modules, so I decided to
34 start with the ones required by portage-utils on aix, and add modules
35 one by one as they are required.
36
37 Thoughts?
38
39 Will try to reduce the size of the solaris patch for portage-utils using
40 that libgnu.a now.
41
42 /haubi/
43 --