From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] portage modifications for prefix
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 08:05:52
On 05-05-2011 09:59:01 +0200, Burcin Erocal wrote:
> I am trying to automate the bootstrapping process for gentoo-prefix as > much as possible, partly based on the instructions here: > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~darkside/prefix/gentoo/bootstrap-gentoo.xml > > However, I want this to work on linux flavors other than gentoo and the > python-2.6 requirement of portage is causing problems.
This is why we bootstrap python-2.6 on all non-Linux platforms. Check the Solaris bootstrap guide for a much less-optimistic bootstrap procedure.
> One way to work around this is to use one of the portage variants > at least for the bootstrap stage. AFAICT, pkgcore seems to support > python-2.4.
Prefix support is defined in PMS as EAPI-3. The "reference" implementation, is the Prefix portage "prefix" branch [1], which does much more than is documented in PMS, to 1) ease transition for Prefix users (it e.g. defines EPREFIX and friends for *all* EAPIs) and 2) check all kinds of conditions that only make sense in an offset environment.
> Is there a list of modifications that were merged in portage to get it > to work with the prefix tree? How much work would it be to make pkgcore > or paludis support these?
You probably want to look at prefix-launcher (I don't know the intrinsics of this thing), and you might want to check what the gentoo/openbsd team is doing currently to automate their OpenBSD bootstrap. [1] http://prefix.gentooexperimental.org:8000/portage-prefix/graph/ (there is also the portage.git tree on git.overlays.gentoo.org) -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level