From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Prefix keywords in main tree
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 15:34:27
On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 16:16 -0700, Peter Abrahamsen wrote:
> Hello Haubi, > > > I think I'm going a different way: cancel this glep, use already > > established methods instead. I plan to do my own stable keywords in my > > local tree, and when users want to have more packages, they simply can > > use the main tree as overlay. > > Hmm. Can you elaborate a little on this? Isn't it a lot of work to > keep all those packages up to date?
I do not have the requirement to be "up to date" here, but to be "really stable". Keeping up to date also would mean old versions I have marked stable dropping out too early for my release profiles, and I would have to maintain them in a separate overlay anyway. So I'm planning to update my local <200 package versions once a year or much less often, or when a specific feature is required, while still keeping the really old stable versions around.
> And as soon as one of your users > adds the main tree as an overlay, those packages will take precedence > over your own, carefully-maintained tree?
Yes. But this isn't a real use-case for my users here. /haubi/ -- Michael Haubenwallner Gentoo on a different level