From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] ia64-hpux keyword and 32bit/64bit
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 10:32:10
On 15-05-2008 11:58:50 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> Hi, > > While 'ia64-hpux' is a multilib platform, and the compilers (HP-cc, gcc) > support this, their default output still is 32bit. > > This is the reason why currently the 'ia64-hpux' keyword in prefix > stands for 32bit, but IMO this is just wrong.
Feels really wrong indeed. They just do like any other UNIX does, but on a 64-bits chip.
> What I could think of is something like this: > > 1) For "CHOST=ia64-hp-hpux*", patch toolchain (or set CFLAGS/LDFLAGS) to > default to 64bit, and use keyword 'ia64-hpux'.
We have similar patches for Solaris on x64, so I don't think this is a big issue to do.
> 2a) Define a new "CHOST=ia64_32-hp-hpux*", patch toolchain to understand > this (like for x64-solaris iirc?), and use keyword 'ia64_32-hpux'.
Quite ugly, but I guess sort of necessary.
> 2b) Or should this better be named "CHOST=ia32-hp-hpux*" and keyword > 'ia32-hpux' ?
Question is whether ia32 technically is what you get with this 32-bits emulation on ia64. (I thought ia32 was just regular x86 stuff, but I can be wrong here. The ia64-architecture isn't compatible with i386 IMO.)
> How would this be confusing with the fact that 'ia32' is equal to 'x86' > from Intel's POV (they use 'x64' for 'x86' + EM64T extension IIRC).
Ah, I should "read ahead". Yeah. x64 is kind of loaded with negative feelings from the other Gentoo folks, basically because Microsoft uses it. However, I still like it that we chose to use it, as it's more generic than amd64 is. (Convert amd64-linux to x64-linux as well?) How necessary is the 32-bits environment for hpux? I think ia64_32 comes closest to something we've seen before (x86_64), so we better use that then in the CHOST. Makes a bit of a problem what we're going to use in our keywords. I think ia32 is a techical unforgivable suggestion, i32 could do for me, though not really a beauty. Maybe we really have no choice but to keep the keyword the same (the arch technically IS ia64, right?) as we're dealing with an emulation mode, and only have the profile to switch to the right CHOST (and hence get the right compiler)? Not sure what the packages broken/wordsize ratio is for HPUX in this case. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level -- gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list