From: Dirk Tilger <dirk@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: Mesa header in media-libs/apple-opengl-2
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 15:14:07
On 2009-04-07, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
> Is there anything that would break if we remove this symlink? And does > it make sense to have both mesa and apple-opengl installed? I thought > mesa provides an opengl implementation? I'm not to familiar with this > stuff, so please tell me if I'm wrong.
Hi Grobian, well, to be honest, I'm not deep into this either. "osmesa.h" declares functions in /usr/X11R6/lib/libOSMesa.dylib, which is not currently included in apple-opengl, so it wouldn't really change something if we omitted it. Both header and library are not part of the OpenGL standard and but provide additional functionality (offscreen rendering). Mesa is an OpenGL implementation doing rendering in software or through DRI, which is Linux specific. It's most useful on platforms that don't come with a native OpenGL implementation. On other platforms it's likley only useful for developers. However, since the ebuild is already in prefix and I was currently in the need of having Mesa on my box, I have now an ebuild with Darwin compatiblity modifications and would happily contribute it. ;) Br, Dirk.