From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:23:54
1 On 25-03-2009 08:08:50 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > > - "use <keyword> && bla" will no longer work (question; is it sane? well
3 > > we need it in *DEPENDs at the moment for sure)
4 >
5 > Reply to both you and mduft, same point.
6 >
7 > The profile sets ARCH which is put into USE. so "use $ARCH && bla" will
8 > still work.
9
10 If you say so, I haven't checked, so that would clear the issue at
11 least.
12
13 > > - Portage needs to be patched not to look at keywords any more, solar's
14 >
15 > Set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="**" in the profile, no patching needed.
16
17 Hmmm, it basically disables the entire capability. Does that also
18 accept -arch?
19
20 > > idea involved only having explicit -arch markings for stuff known not
21 > > to compile/work
22 >
23 > profile masking would also be equivalent.
24
25 That's than a "is it in our outside of the ebuild" thing, right?
26
27 > > - I don't like the idea:
28 > >> Before anyone says "but, that will be much more likely to break my
29 > >> prefix" - I refute that because we are already running on this policy
30 > >> with regards to the automatic bumps. For the most part, it is smooth.
31 > >> Major packages are masked if someone hasn't tested them yet (eg. gcc & bash)
32 > > Thing is here, that if you look at
33 > > http://stats.prefix.freens.org/keywords-packages.png, you can clearly
34 > > see a "gap" between x86-linux, and ppc-macos (the prefix leader in
35 > > keyworded packages). From an historical point of view, I'm almost
36 > > sure this gap is largely consisting of broken packages for ppc-macos.
37 >
38 > I'm not convinced. Nearly every package I add, I'm fairly sure would
39 > work on macos these days.
40
41 I think you're optimistic ;)
42
43 > > - Last but not least, this proposal doesn't solve the keyword issue at
44 > > all, it just introduces another hurdle; the change of keyword use.
45 >
46 > We already operate in this fashion as pointed out with automatic version
47 > bumps. (ie. xfce-4.6 still does not work but it was added to the tree -
48 > both missing deps AND QA issues) - Over the last 2 days, I have been
49 > reacting to it. Nothing was proactive anyway.
50
51 Well, of course you are right at this point. And I largely rely on
52 other people fixing up my mess after a sync round next to myself. I
53 know it frustrates some people, but doing a sync is very labour
54 intensive, and time consuming (have to say my two new disks in stripe
55 really help reducing the time consumption thing), and I can't bring it
56 up any more to check each and every thing I sync.
57
58 I think it especially becomes a mess when noone's around to fix, like
59 when both you and me are not around ;) (Yes, it basically all just
60 depends on you and me...)
61
62 One big solution to this problem (me being sloppy when I sync) is when
63 we would go to gentoo-x86. Keywords are an issue then, but we already
64 identified that Prefix keywords cannot be shared with gentoo-x86
65 keywords. Luckily we made all of ours unique ;) Suppose we would use
66 haubi style PREFIX_ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=... we would just be another line.
67 That said, now I think about it, our keywords, which differ from
68 gentoo-x86's ones, already mark an ebuild prefix ready. So we could
69 start dropping EAPI="prefix", because the keywords just say it all...
70
71 For haubi-style ACCEPT_KEYWORDS we need a GLEP/proposal on gentoo-dev
72 for the next EAPI.
73 For implicit ACCEPT_KEYWORDS (like you/solari propose) we need a
74 GLEP/proposal on gentoo-dev to get that policy through.
75
76 In both cases, Prefix can adapt, but Prefix is not brought any closer to
77 gentoo-x86 IMO by using either of both proposals, since gentoo-x86
78 doesn't follow it!
82 Fabian Groffen
83 Gentoo on a different level