From: Marius Konitzer <m.konitzer@×××.de>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Whois 4.7.26 issues under Solaris 10
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:36:58
1 There are some outstanding problems regarding net-misc/whois under
2 sparc-solaris:
3
4 1) missing libraries while linking on Solaris
5 2) NLS not working (try 'LC_ALL=fr whois foo')
6 3) long options not supported (try 'whois --verbose')
7
8 My patch solves all of them at least under Solaris 10. I suppose 2) and
9 3) are general issues in Gentoo Prefix, so perhaps someone else should
10 check if it works on other platforms, too.
11
12 My patch contains several flaws, particularly mkpasswd is needlessly
13 linked with -l{nls,socket} and libraries are passed through LDFLAGS. But
14 solving at least one of them would require a new 'files/whois-*.patch'.
15 This would make the patches against Whois' Makefile almost bigger than
16 the Makefile itself, which is one of the worst pieces of code I have
17 ever seen. :-/

whois-4.7.26.ebuild.patch text/x-patch