From: Piergiorgio Beruto <piergiorgio.beruto@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] prefixed gentoo for cross-compile (question)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:10:42
1 Hi,
2 I'm an embedded sw developer already used to gentoo and portage.
3
4 I am wondering whether gentoo prefix could help me in the following: I
5 would like to use portage to cross compile some base linux packages
6 plus some board specific applications for a different number of boards
7 each requiring their own patches and packages, with a huge amount of
8 code to be shared among them.
9 I was lookong at crossdev but the big problem is that I CAN'T get
10 administrative priviledges on the development machine, in fact each
11 user at the moment builds the packages in their own home.
12
13 To be more precise I wish I could use portage installed in my home
14 directory and have it use some cross-toolchain (either pre-built or
15 built through portage) to actually download, patch, configure, build
16 and install packages to some directory which will eventually be turned
17 into a target filesystem someway.
18 I've tried to use crossdev inside prefixed gentoo but failed to have
19 it working and I'm not sure it's the correct approach anyway.
20
21 Have you guys any suggestion about my problem? That would save a lot
22 of users to keep developing new build systems and re-inventing the
23 wheel each time! Also they would never come to something as good and
24 featured as portage.
25
26 Thank you in advance!