From: Rabbe Fogelholm <rabbe@×××××××.se>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Using Gentoo Prefix to support a more recent version of Eclipse?
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 07:52:22
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 19-08-2020 22:52:38 +0200, Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
3 >> Thanks Benda for encouragement.
4 >>
5 >> The bootstrapping was a breeze. I started it off and it finished in a couple of
6 >> hours.
7 >>
8 >> Emerging 'meld', another GTK application, was possible after adding some
9 >> masks and USE flags.
10 >>
11 >> With Java, no success yet. I am trying to use a LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but
12 >> that causes Java to crash immediately. Maybe this is just not doable.
13 >
14 > The Oracle SDKs (that are masked nowadays) always worked like a charm
15 > for me. Perhaps you can use those?
16
17 My understanding of the Eclipse problem is really limited. That said,
18 I think that Eclipse uses some framework named SWT, for the GUI. SWT
19 is somehow part of Java. And SWT uses GTK.
20
21 So I tried to do a source build of Java in the prefix, hoping that SWT
22 would then use the up-to-date GTK in the prefix. I went for OpenJDK 11.
23 In the end this failed because net-print/cups is pulled in, and that
24 ebuild fails because it tries to install files outside the prefix.
25
26 I tried putting -cups in make.conf and in other places, but the cups
27 dependency seems unavoidable.
28
29 --Rabbe
32 > Fabian
33 >>
34 >> BR and thanks / Rabbe
37 >> Benda Xu wrote:
38 >>> Hi Rabbe,
39 >>>
40 >>> Rabbe Fogelholm <rabbe@×××××××.se> writes:
41 >>>
42 >>>> I have a situation where Gentoo Prefix may possibly help.
43 >>>>
44 >>>> I want to run Eclipse with a plugin for Erlang development. The plugin
45 >>>> requires me to use a recent version of Eclipse. However, the platform
46 >>>> that I am stuck with is Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS, which has an old GTK 3
47 >>>> version, which would force me to use Eclipse "Oxygen", not compatible
48 >>>> with the Erlang plugin.
49 >>>>
50 >>>> So, I am wondering: If I can get Gentoo Prefix set up, with presumably
51 >>>> an up-to-date version of GTK 3, could I then hope that this Eclipse
52 >>>> can find the newer GTK 3 and run happily?
53 >>> Yes, Gentoo Prefix will help. That said, it might not work out of the
54 >>> box. I don't know anyone who is using Eclipse on Gentoo Prefix.
55 >>>
56 >>> You can expect bugs along your way to the destiny. And that's a good
57 >>> way to contribute to Prefix by sharing your findings and solutions
58 >>> through the bugzilla.
59 >>>
60 >>> Yours,
61 >>> Benda