From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] portable EPREFIX? ... crossdev toolchains, anyone?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 16:56:41
On 27-05-2011 11:42:21 -0400, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> The EPREFIX suggested on the bootstrap page[1] (at least for Mac) is > completely non-portable, since EPREFIX=${HOME}/Gentoo will change with > every single username. This prevents people like me from sharing > useful things like crossdev toolchains that might not be so easy for > others to put together.
We do this on (big) purpose. We don't assume a user to have administrative permissions at all. One of the places that are always writable for a user is his/her $HOME. Using any of the /opt or /Users like you suggest would generate many questions and bugs by people that get errors because they can't write there. You're doing stuff now that's beyond what Prefix was originally intended for, or what we would suggest people to do on a daily basis. I like it a lot (like Jeremy), but I guess you can just chose an offset now that is much smarter than $HOME/Gentoo :) -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level