From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] alt-prefix on solaris: it rocks. plus badge.
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 19:12:53
1 On 24-05-2009 22:04:07 +0300, "C. Bergström" wrote:
2 > Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > On 24-05-2009 20:47:53 +0300, "C. Bergström" wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Ummm.. my/our goal is to directly compete with sol10, sxce and
6 > >> opensolaris (if you consider the latter real competition).. Why mess
7 > >> with gentoo-alt-prefix + solaris when you can just use just about any
8 > >> ebuild from the main tree on top of the whole core? I'm not doing bulk
9 > >
10 > > Because Solaris 10 is stable :P
11 > >
12 > > (apart from not needing root, or being able to wipe out everything added
13 > > by simply rm -Rf-ing a single directory...)
14 > >
15 > Considering we're in discussions with the Open Group about becoming UNIX
16 > certified along with being used on NEBS compliant hardware in at least 1
17 > CLEC I think we'll classify as "stable" in the near future. In fact I'd
18 > bet that the service entitlement you get from large vendor X wouldn't
19 > compare to having the source for everything and a community to back the
20 > bug fixes. Or is that more or less not the reason that linux has gained
21 > popularity over the big iron OS of the past? (This is not to mention
22 > the WORM/COMSTAR and various other patches we're porting over that
23 > aren't in sol10)
24
25 Good, enough plugging. Thanks.
26
27 > Also.. prefix is worthless for circumstances where you want to have core
28 > system files that need to be 64bit and aren't.. libhal was a good
29 > example in the past.. (which they do provide 64bit for now thankfully)
30 > This is on top of if you're actually doing any real development of the
31 > core os/zfs.. You'll probably need to patch zdb or other things..
32 > Building onnv-gate by hand if you've ever done it is less than fun.
33 > patching dozens or hundreds of servers/zones under svr4 packaging is
34 > less than fun.
35 > </rant>
36
37 It's not about who is better. I don't think Prefix is worthless for
38 64-bits, as we do a pretty much good job there. This Prefix project is
39 built on top of some assumptions about our users, and discussing those
40 is useless. The rest is just a bit of taste for the situations where
41 you actually have the freedom to choose. I for one don't have much to
42 choose where I work, and to a certain extent I also don't desire to.
46 Fabian Groffen
47 Gentoo on a different level