From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Upgrade your Portage
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:25:55
1 On 29-09-2010 16:20:00 +0200, Peter Waller wrote:
2 > This seems like bad practice not to have a way to do this. I don't think you
3 > can reasonably expect everyone updating their prefix installation to see
4 > posts on this mailing list. You're talking about causing people considerable
5 > pain, possibly effectively irreversible - at least to less experienced
6 > users - unless you publish the details of your hacks required to fix it
7 > after it is broken.
8
9 I can understand your concerns. Gentoo Prefix is still an experiment,
10 though. While I don't really like to break things, I can't really avoid
11 it always either.
12
13 > I don't see why such breakage should be necessary in the circumstance that
14 > someone innocently wants to update some packages. Isn't Jeremy's solution
15 > possible, for instance?
16
17 I had to mask any flawed portage version, which means most people will
18 have to downgrade portage now, which I'm not going to force through
19 openssl or any other random package. It's a very structural problem.
20
21 The real problem is an abi update of a package, and Portage's
22 preserve-libs not working. In our case even worse, because that means
23 manual means to prevent huge breakage are disabled because Portage is
24 supposed to handle it.
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo on a different level