From: "Askar Bektassov (Аскар Бектасов)" <askar.bektassov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] does 'emerge world' replace already updated packages?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:56:35
Hi all,

My question is straightforward, under what circumstances 'emerge world'
re-emerges packages even if installed and updated?

The issue I am having is that 'emerge world' reinstalls approx 46 packages.
I have not been using portage for a while (was a regular Gentoo/Linux user
few years ago), but usually in order to maintain an updated system

$ emerge world -pv

would have showed me only those packages which are proposed to be updated
(or reinstalled if they are linked against some peculiar library).

I never used --update at that time, as its omission was already producing
desired effect:

$ eix-sync
$ emerge world -DN

was already moving my tree to the packages with highest best version and/or
modified use flags.

Now that I discovered Gentoo Portage, I immediately replaced fink and
macports, but found a slightly different portage behavior and now I wonder
if this is an issue or not (I am not even sure whether I am able to express
my concern).

Thanks to anybody who can eventually address my concern,
Cheers,
Askar Bektassov
(Аскар Бектасов)

$ emerge --info
Portage 2.2.01.19120-prefix (prefix/darwin/macos/10.7/x64, gcc-4.2.1,
unavailable, 11.1.0 x86_64)
System uname: Darwin-11.1.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:39:53 +0000
distcc 3.1-toolwhip.1 i386-apple-darwin11.0 [disabled]
app-shells/bash:      4.2_p10
dev-lang/python:      2.7.2
dev-util/cmake:       2.8.5-r2
dev-util/pkgconfig:   0.25-r2
sys-devel/autoconf:   2.68
sys-devel/automake:   1.11.1
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1-r00.2
sys-devel/libtool:    2.4-r01.1
sys-devel/make:       3.82
Repositories: gentoo_prefix overlay
Installed sets:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x64-macos"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-apple-darwin11"
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -pipe -O2"
CHOST="x86_64-apple-darwin11"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/portage /etc/revdep-rebuild
/etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=nocona -pipe -O2"
DISTDIR="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs collision-protect distlocks
ebuild-locks fixlafiles fixpackages news nostrip parallel-fetch
preserve-libs protect-owned sfperms strict unknown-features-warn
unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS=""
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs"
PKGDIR="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times
--compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180
--exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/Users/askarbektassov/Library/Gentoo/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.prefix.freens.org/gentoo-portage-prefix"
USE="aqua bash-completion coreaudio cracklib cxx exif mmx mmxext modules
ncurses nls objc objc++ prefix readline sse sse2 ssl ssse3 unicode x64-macos
zlib" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon
authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile
authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs
dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter
headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation
rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias"
CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan stage tables krita karbon braindump"
CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap
syslog" ELIBC="Darwin" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18
garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver
oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt
ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse" KERNEL="Darwin" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad
cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text"
PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU"
XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p
iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark
dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL,
LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS,
PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Askar Bektassov
(Аскар Бектасов)