From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] To multilib or Not to multilib!?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:41:56
1 On Sun, January 25, 2009 19:21, Tom wrote:
2 > Hi List!
3 >
4 > After following the thread about the icedtea build on amd64 I found
5 > myself wondering if it would make sense for me to change to
6 > a non-multilib setup.
7 >
8 > So how is the status of that specific profile, how stable, and more
9 > importantly how feature rich can it be?
10 >
11 > Java seems to be getting close to a non issue, but what about flash for
12 > instance? I know there's now a native 64version of adobe's plugin (I'm
13 > using it right now) but I don't know about its dependencies.
14 >
15 > Other things spring to mind, certain codec-packs, multimedia in
16 > general.
17 > And of course wine, virtualization etc.
18 >
19 > So can anybody provide some insight into how things are generally
20 > going in non-multilib-land?!
21
22 The only difference is that no 32 bits code is pushed into your system.
23 Which in turn means you won't be able to run nor compile 32 bits stuff at
24 all. Wine will plainly not work.
25
26 mplayer will play about everything. I haven't used win32codecs for years.
27 However I stay away from closed formats, but the few realplayer and window
28 media files that I needed to play could be opened without problems by
29 mplayer without the help of external codecs.
30
31 The flash alpha plugin for 64 bits works well.
32
33 You should really check what 32 bits stuff you use. If you need wine you
34 need multilib. Really, there's no advantage into going no-multilib. You
35 only lose versatility and reduce the range of software that you can use.
36
37 You could get a rough idea about the 32 bits you have installed by using
38 file like this:
39
40 file {,/usr}/bin/*|grep 32
44 Jesús Guerrero