From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] gcc 4.1 + CFLAGS
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 23:06:33
1 "Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <vgivanovic@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 16:14 -0500, Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 > > Enough research has gone into writing code for IEEE floating point
6 > > that I would not try to bypass it without a good reason. It’s there to
7 > > be your friend.
8 >
9 > Performance is the reason we have hardware FPUs and -ffast-math.
10
11 For home video games, maybe. For scientists and engineers I’d say
12 always use the complete standard arithmetic, because some of the
13 numerical routines may assume it, and for the ability to duplicate
14 results.
18 Barry.SCHWARTZ at chemoelectric.org http://chemoelectric.org
19 Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj: http://crudfactory.com (PDF)
20 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
21 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)