From: Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: chrooted environment not available to users
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:55:42
1 >> One thing I'm working on right now is a setup that would allow me
2 >> to dual boot into the athlon-xp environment for testing purposes. I
3 >> run a real-time development kernel from Ingo Molnar for my audio work.
4 >> So far I cannot make it work as well as my older Athlon-xp machines so
5 >> I'm going to boot into the chroot with it's own kernel to see if this
6 >> is a 64-bit issue. But that's for later.
7 >
8 > I recall your posts on the subject here, and have come across your
9 > related comments in a couple other locations as well, so yes, I'm aware of
10 > the issues you are experiencing in that area, and /wish/ there was
11 > something I could do to help.
12
13 To enable chroot for users you have to chmod u+s /bin/chroot
14 The chroot will succeed and you will be as your user and not as root.
15
16 It is up to you to judge if it is something you want or not. If you have a
17 single user machine that does not have daemons running in a chroot
18 environment it might be ok.
19
20 For example on my laptop (single user) I have chroot with:
21 owner: root
22 group: wheel
23 permissions: -rws--x---
24
25 That way only people in the group wheel can execute it.
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list