From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: file type not allowed in /usr/lib
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 20:13:51
1 Hi,
2
3 Duncan wrote:
4 > I'm repeating what Simon said, but sometimes it helps to get it said a
5 [snip]
6 > The immediate user-level fix, as Simon says, is kill the
7 [snip]
8 > Here's the background. As Simon explained, in ordered to be able to have
9
10 Just a personal note on this: What's the point in repeating everything?
11 You only bore people with it. I think we can assume that the original
12 poster either gets it the first time, or he'll surely ask again and give
13 details about what he didn't understand.
14
15 > First, there's the binary compatibility issue, both with legacy apps and
16 > moving forward. It's simply harder to get binaries from other sources to
17 > work, when they are designed with one set of assumptions about locations,
18 > but installed on a system with a rather different set of assumptions. As
19 > I said, there's the 32-bit legacy thing, but consider continuing effect
20 > going forward, as well. If we stayed the way we are, every binary-only
21 > installation a Gentoo-amd64 user ever made, including the new amd64
22 > binaries, when they become common, would be a fight. Despite the temporary
23
24 Why? When the binary gets linked, ldd just looks into various places and
25 decides which library to take depending on the bitness. There's no
26 fight, there's /etc/ld.so.conf. Sorry, but that paragraph is fubar.
27
28 > mostly duplicated common code, it's ALWAYS more efficient to keep in line
29 > with the rest of the community, so the maintenance and further development
30
31 I disagree: There are bad standards, which should be replaced by better
32 ones. You can't do that by keeping in line with the rest.
33
34 > Thus, the upstream compatibility issue resolves to this: the closer we
35 > are to accepted LSB/FHS standard, the less work we will have to do making
36 > changes so that open source packages which generally target the loose
37
38 Wrong. Correct would be: the closer we are to UPSTREAM, the less work we
39 will have to do. A nice example: QT
40
41 > Together, these two reasons means the only /possible/ sensible alternative
42 > is to bite that bullet, and exchange some temporary misery now, while the
43 > conversion is in progress, for a /far/ more standards compliant multilib
44 > setup, going forward.
45
46 What misery?
47
48 > Currently, Gentoo-amd64 has just about finished moving 64-bit libs out of
49 > lib. We have both a lib32, and a lib64, with lib being a symlink to
50 > lib64, for those remaining packages (such as skencil, apparently) that
51 > have so far fallen thru the cracks, and continue to make the early
52 > Gentoo-amd64 assumption that lib is the 64-bit shared object location.
53 > With 2005.1, I'm expecting FEATURES=multilib-strict will be the default,
54 > to finally weed out as many of the few remaining back packages as
55 > possible. With 2006.0, it's possible that lib -> lib64 symlink can
56 > finally be broken, and any remaining packages then WILL get bugs filed,
57 > when someone tries to use them and has issues. With luck, by 2006.1, it
58 > should be safe to start doing basically the same thing with the lib32 ->
59 > lib move, as we will have just got thru doing with the lib -> lib64 move.
60 > First, there will be a symlink between the two, in another release or two,
61 > the main packages will be changed and it'll be time to activate the
62 > multilib-strict test for anything still ending up in lib32 instead of lib.
63 > By 2007.0, therefore, if luck holds, that multilib-strict test can be the
64 > default, to catch all the stragglers possible, and 2007.1 should then
65 > hopefully be able to remove lib32, relegating it to the annuls of
66 > Gentoo-amd64 history. (Those .1 mentions assume that Gentoo continues
67 > with the twice-yearly releases, thus, they mean second-half.)
68
69 Where do you get this information from? We (read: we, the Gentoo/AMD64
70 developer team) never published such a roadmap, nor do we have one
71 ourselves. Please, don't cook up a story just to enlarge your
72 pen^W^W^Wmails.
73
74 > However, that's really only half the issue. The other half is portage,
75 > which currently can't track 32-bit dependencies separate from its 64-bit
76 > dependencies. We had hoped that portage would have dual-bitness support
77 > by 2005.1, but that's now looking impossible, since the new portage
78 > remains only in CVS, there hasn't yet been even the usual hard masked for
79 > testing alpha snapshot releases, let alone the -preX versions, which would
80 > be the first ones that could even theoretically leave hard mask testing,
81 > for ~arch testing. Thus, it'll be 2006.0 at the earliest, before portage
82 > will be able to handle dual-bitness tracking, keeping the 32-bit
83 > dependencies separate from the 64-bit dependencies. Until then,
84 > Gentoo-amd64 32-bit support will remain spotty at best, requiring users
85 > either install from tarball, or use a 32-bit chroot with its own portage
86 > tracking 32-bit dependencies, for pretty much anything beyond the core
87 > system libraries (sandbox, gcc, glibc, now from-source supported, other
88 > 32-bit core libraries managed as binary-only packages or from the chroot).
89
90 You can take comfort with the fact that even if portage already had this
91 functionality, there wouldn't be real multilib now.
92
93 Regards,
96 Simon Stelling
97 Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead