From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 08:48:08
1 2008/5/31 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
2
3 > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
4 >
5 >> So, in my opinion, you are just a pro-paludis troll.
6 >>
7 >> And from what I can see, trolls are the prefered audience and power behind
8 >> paludis.
11 > Guys - let's try to keep this civil!
12 >
13 > There are lots of folks who use and like paludis who aren't trolls. I'm
14 > among them. The main thing I like is that the dependency management tends
15 > to work better than portage (or at least better than how portage used to
16 > work). It also has better native support for overlays, and it is a bit more
17 > actively developed. It also seems much faster to me - or at least it used
18 > to be (actually - I use portage so infrequently these days that it seems to
19 > take forever just to regenerate its various caches when I do use it -
20 > perhaps if I used emerge --sync that might behave differently).
23 that's exactly the point. as i've already said on new system portage is
24 quite flawly, while paludis is less flawly with deps. and the overlays
25 handling and the possibility to continue builds if packages fails on various
26 conditions is not a bad addition. if you emerge sync and update portage
27 repository you'll just need a paludis --regenerate-installable-cache and
28 you're ok. also you'll just have to remember to regenerate the installed
29 cache whenever you install something with portage.
32 > On the other hand, I do understand the attitude issues associated with some
33 > of the key developers and as pointed out in the FAQ quote it tends to show.
34 > I'm not sure I'd actively evangelize for its use as a result.
37 sometimes they have somem technical points out there but have an impulsive
38 character. well, if they were in a development company they could have not
39 been scolded since their work as devs isn't bad.
40
41 The main thing I had feared with paludis is that at some point a need for a
42 > particular feature will come along and it will be determined that real men
43 > don't need that feature and I'll be stuck (while every other package manager
44 > out there ends up supporting it). While this still concerns me it generally
45 > hasn't happened to date, and I'm less concerned about it. However, if it
46 > does happen getting my keywords migrated back to portage format will end up
47 > being a minor headache...
48 >
49 > My recommendation is to look into paludis - and feel free to try it out.
50 > Be aware of its advantages and limitations. Then make the appropriate
51 > decision. As Duncan pointed out it isn't an ideal package manager if you
52 > use binary packages frequently.
55 i could say that for users as duncan, with need of binpkg and with a minor
56 number of overlays paludis is not very good and in fact is indicated for
57 people who reboot oftenly (like ati notebooks users which don't have a
58 really good standby or suspend) and update world frequently and people who
59 have a big deal of repos usually more than 2 repos should be good to go with
60 paludis
65 dott. ing. beso