From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Video server for mac clients
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:13:06
1 Hi,
2
3 I am new to this list. I have been using gentoo for about three months as a
4 desktop machine and it is just great.
5
6 Now I want to build a video server for two mac workstations doing video editing.
7
8 Please help me in giving some advice.
9
10 The server is going to only do this job as a video server. The idea is to remote
11 mount on the mac using netatalk or nfs.
12
13 I am using amd Athlon64 3000 on a MSI Neo 4 Platinum with 2Gb of ram. There is a
14 Promise Raid card, EX8350, with 8 sata drives as Raid 5. The file system is
15 going to be XFS.
16
17 The two macs are connected to this server using gigabit ethernet, cross cable.
18
19 Which is faster nfs or netatalk?
20
21 Any advice on how to setup the USE flags and the compile settings?
22
23 The reason on going with AMD64 is so that I can use the 64bit. Hoping that it
24 would be faster with the hyper-transport. Any advice or gotcha that I should
25 look out for.
26
27 Please do comment.
28