From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] HALLELUJAH! FINALLY figured out the problem with my IOMMU and AGP!
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 16:43:21
1 It turned out the issue with the IOMMU was a BIOS setting -- and a totally
2 unsuspected one at that! Of course, the AMD IOMMU device is part of the
3 AGP-GART, and I had never been able to get DRM/DRI working, either. The
4 problem with both was one and the same -- I had Fast-writes (FW) enabled
5 in the AGP Hypertransport configuration. Turning it off allowed both the
6 hardware IOMMU and DRM to work. As I had earlier figured out that I
7 couldn't boot with the hardware IOMMU enabled and had to use the software
8 one, at least past kernel 2.6.15 as they killed the SCSI bouncebuffers for
9 .16, I tested first with that. Once I got it working, I had a good idea
10 the DRM/DRI would work as well, and so it did! No more being stuck with
11 Mesa software 3D! Hallelujah and much rejoicing! I had been fighting
12 with that on and off for quite awhile (over a year, tho it got much more
13 urgent when I upgraded from a gig to 8 gig of RAM and needed the IOMMU),
14 and had almost come to believe that part of my mobo chipset was borken.
15 Glad it wasn't! =8^)
20 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
21 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
25 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list