From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: I seem to have lost my 'system' list
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:23:33
1 John Myers posted <200511181334.24646.electronerd@××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:34:20 -0800:
3
4 > I was just running 'emerge -p depclean' to see what portage thinks it doesn't
5 > need anymore, to tune my world file, and it told me
6 >
7 > !!! You have no system list.
8 > !!! Proceeding will break your installation.
9 >
10 > This seemed a little odd to me.
11 >
12 > What file is the system list stored in? I thought it was somewhere
13 > in /usr/portage/profiles, but I couldn't find anything there, either on this
14 > box, or on my (x86) local rsync server (which still has its system list).
15 >
16 > both machines are running portage-2.0.53_rc7 and accept ~arch
17
18 The system list will be in your profile, which is /supposed/ to be the
19 directory pointed to by the /etc/make.profile symlink. Normally, that
20 symlink will point to somewhere in the portage tree, under profiles, which
21 would mean a subdir of /usr/portage/profiles (typically
22 /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2005.1 or something similar), if
23 you haven't customized the path to your $PORTDIR.
24
25 Assuming the symlink is pointing to the correct spot in your portage tree,
26 if the spot (or your entire portage tree) is somehow empty, an emerge sync
27 should correct the issue.
28
29 Assuming /usr/portage is still there, perhaps your /etc/make.conf or the
30 symlink mentioned above got deleted or corrupted.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
36 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
40 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list