From: The Doctor <drwho@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable fsck on boot, was: How to make watchdog start earlier during bootup?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:54:08
1 Duncan wrote:
2
3 > 32 megs? That's small! How old is it? I looked at that and thought to
4 > myself "typo, he must have meant gigs", but then I saw the below...
5
6 It's very tiny, I'll admit. It came with a camera I bought about four
7 months ago. Needless to say, this is the first time it's ever been used
8 for anything; I keep a 2GB SD card in said camera.
9
10 > Yes, it must have been 32 meg. reiserfs uses a 4k blocksize by default,
11 > and as it mentions, an 8193 block journal, again by default. That's
12 > about... 32 MB. So yes indeed, you'd have problems fitting that on a 32
13 > MB device -- it'd be all journal! There are parameters you can add to
14 > mkfs.reiserfs/mkreiserfs to change both the block size (-b, 512 byte to
15 > 8k, 4k default) and the journal size (-s, 513-32749 blocks, default
16 > 8193), thus yielding a minimum journal size of 256.5kb which would have
17 > easily fit, but you'd not be expected to know that since you don't run it
18 > routinely, and even many who do probably don't know it.
19
20 I'll do some playing around with that this weekend and see what happens.
21
22 > be written, I don't believe reiserfs is particularly suitable for flash
23 > based media.
24
25 I'm inclined to agree with you; this card was just used for the purpose
26 of improperly unmounting LUKS filesystems because it was laying around.
27 I could just as easily have used a file system image or an external
28 hard drive from the corner store.
32 The Doctor [412/724/301/703]
33
34 PGP: 0x807B17C1 / 7960 1CDC 85C9 0B63 8D9F DD89 3BD8 FF2B 807B 17C1
35 WWW: http://drwho.virtadpt.net/
36
37 ...and that is how we know the earth is banana-shaped.