From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Outside of portage (was Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:02:59
1 On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:32:55 -0500
2 Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > I install Grub outside of Portage, on the grounds that (a) it
6 > is a bad thing to upgrade unless you have to; and (b) the Grub 2
7 > ebuilds were broken anyway, and I didn’t want to switch back to Grub 1
8 > when moving from Exherbo back to Gentoo. So I used the default GNU
9 > install procedure in /usr/local. If the machine boots, the machine
10 > boots, and I’m satisfied.
13 For a person in my situation (i.e. single user, desktop system with no
14 network beyond ISP connection) -- and I'm sure there are a lot of us
15 out there -- I cannot see any advantage of grub over lilo. The Debian
16 folks rescued lilo from near extinction because they recognized its utility
17 and there is a gentoo ebuild available.
18
19 I hope lilo stays around forever. It is a sensible choice.
20
21 Frank Peters