From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: local not started?
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 18:19:52
1 Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com> posted 49140BC6.2070701@××.com,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 07 Nov 2008 10:35:02 +0100:
3
4 > It is in default and nonetwork.
5 >
6 > Could it be that the service is executed but some other service
7 > indirectly resets the ignore_nice_load to 1?
8
9 One easy thing to try, for debugging, is to cat the sys file immediately
10 before and after the echo/write. Of course, you'll want the system set
11 so no fancy splash screens (or an immediate boot to X) hide the output,
12 but that should really be the default for someone hardcore enough to have
13 chosen Gentoo. I seem to also remember a "quiet-boot" parameter of some
14 sort in /etc/rc.conf or /etc/conf.d/rc, that you may need to turn off if
15 it interferes with debugging. However, it's off by default so unless you
16 turned it on you should be fine.
17
18 You can also try set -x (or -v) before, and set +x (or +v) after. Those
19 tend to be useful debugging tricks on anything bash script based, as the
20 initscripts are.
21
22 I generally run the newer baselayout/openrc stuff (and am running it now,
23 thus I don't remember and can't easily check settings like that quite-
24 boot option I mentioned), often while it's still somewhat buggy, and have
25 traced and filed several bugs using tricks like the above to let me know
26 what's going on.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman