From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Incipient hardware failure?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 08:46:38
Kyle Liddell wrote:

>Here's just an idea: You took out half your RAM, and then more recently >you tested the other half of the RAM that you left in the computer? How >about you swap the RAM around and run memtest86+ or some such. Perhaps >some of the RAM you took out of your system is bad, and you've got a >corrupted file or something lying around? I had this happen on my old >server...had very occasional weird errors, but worked enough to compile >a stage1 install, then when the RAM completely died and things went nuts >I checked it with memtest86 and found that a stick was bad, dumped it, >but still had strange crashes every once in a while. Completely >reinstalling (switching to debian actually) stopped the problems. >
Interesting idea, that. The other day in my clumsiness I managed to knock the spare sticks onto the tiled floor, so now I can't trust them not to have PCB cracks. Secondly, I'm still getting segmentation faults and that one bus error I mentioned, and in the meantime I've zapped the root partition of my Xfce system and rebuilt it from scratch. So on balance I think I won't pursue your suggestion, thanks all the same. I did enjoy reading about your experience though. -- Rgds Peter Humphrey Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93. -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list