From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: fsck seems to screw up my harddisk
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:37:30
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200612041016.58159.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Mon, 04 Dec
3 2006 10:16:58 +0000:
4
5 > On Tuesday 28 November 2006 01:49, Richard Fish wrote:
6 >
7 >> I'm starting to suspect everybody is a "ricer".
8 >
9 > Er, what's one of those? I assume it's an Americanism.
10
11 The term is borrowed from the automotive scene, where "ricer" refers to
12 those that are into the performance scene -- particularly mods like racing
13 decals, dual exhaust pipe ends, and the like, that are designed to /look/
14 impressive (to that set, anyway), but don't actually raise performance.
15
16 Wictionary and Wikipedia both have entries in this context:
17
18 http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ricer
19
20 Unfortunately, use in this context apparently hasn't made it into most
21 dictionaries (at least those listed at onelook.com), as most only list the
22 term in the sense of wiktionary definition 1 (a cooking utensil).
23
24 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricer
25
26 It's quite popular among users of binary distributions to mock Gentoo as a
27 ricer distribution. One must admit such folks will be attracted to
28 Gentoo, but of course as users, we know there are other reasons to use it
29 as well -- including on the technical side the amount of possible
30 customization, thus appealing to the power user who likes being in
31 control, regardless of how interested in performance they may or may not
32 be, and on the social side, a relatively large/active/helpful user
33 community and rather more (quantity) and more useful documentation than is
34 available for many/most distributions.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list