From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:02:55
1 On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > First post here.  I'm usually on gentoo user.  I'm in the process of
5 > building a new system which will be 64 bit.  I am looking for advice.  I
6 > would like people to post things that I might run into that one wouldn't
7 > expect and some things that are different from x86.  I was looking at
8 > something on my old rig and noticed the USE flag smp.  I didn't know about
9 > that until I ran up on it.  I learned something by pure dumb luck.
10 >
11 > I'm a long time Gentoo user.  Installed it at the early stages of 1.4.  I
12 > also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup.  The processor is a AMD
13 > Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz.  It will start out with one 4Gb stick of ram.  I
14 > plan to expand that later.
15 >
16 > What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
17 > obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
18 >
19 > Thanks.
20 >
21 > Dale
22
23 Hi Dale,
24 It's been so long since I've done anything that wasn't 64-bit so
25 it's hard to answer. I think the 64-bit install guide is quite good.
26 One thing that I think some folks (me included) do that differs from
27 the guide (at least the last time I read it) is to use grub-static
28 instead of grub. I suspect that's because it's 32-bit and more
29 compatible.
30
31 Other than that I can't think of anything I do differently.
32
33 Best of luck with the new install. I'm sure it will go great.
34
35 Cheers,
36 Mark