From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:02:55
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
> Hi, > > First post here.  I'm usually on gentoo user.  I'm in the process of > building a new system which will be 64 bit.  I am looking for advice.  I > would like people to post things that I might run into that one wouldn't > expect and some things that are different from x86.  I was looking at > something on my old rig and noticed the USE flag smp.  I didn't know about > that until I ran up on it.  I learned something by pure dumb luck. > > I'm a long time Gentoo user.  Installed it at the early stages of 1.4.  I > also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup.  The processor is a AMD > Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz.  It will start out with one 4Gb stick of ram.  I > plan to expand that later. > > What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so > obvious for someone new to 64 bit? > > Thanks. > > Dale
Hi Dale, It's been so long since I've done anything that wasn't 64-bit so it's hard to answer. I think the 64-bit install guide is quite good. One thing that I think some folks (me included) do that differs from the guide (at least the last time I read it) is to use grub-static instead of grub. I suspect that's because it's 32-bit and more compatible. Other than that I can't think of anything I do differently. Best of luck with the new install. I'm sure it will go great. Cheers, Mark