From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] emerge --depclean question
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 01:53:26
1 Hi,
2 I haven't done this in quite awhile so this evening I started
3 looking at dependencies a bit. I thought I might take a shot at
4 cleaning things up old stuff left around from updates over the last
5 year or so. I ran emerge -p --depclean and was told that there were
6 about 45 things to remove so I decided I'd try removing a few
7 one-at-a-time and see how it went. First I sync'ed and did an emerge
8 -DuN world and made sure the machine was up to date. I then removed
9 what seemed like a pretty random entry late on the list - imlib - and
10 then a revdep-rebuild -p to see what it thought. I was then told I
11 needed to emerge revisions of two new things - gnome-lib and
12 gtk-pixbuf - neither of which existed according to both emerge and
13 eix. I then re-emerged imlib, reran revdep-rebuild and now I see the
14 machine is consistent again.
15
16 What's up with that?
17
18 I then tried again with something called 'jasper'. Rerunning
19 revdep-rebuild is now telling me it needs to reemerge netpbm and this
20 will pick up jasper again. I did that emerge and reran revdep-rebuild
21 again and the machine is once again clean.
22
23 What's up with that?
24
25 Is this a question that certain ebuilds are not written correctly
26 and don't somehow call for the right dependencies, or is it something
27 else?
28
29 Also, is there any better tool these days for cleaning up stale
30 packages left around than emerge --depclean?
31
32 Thanks,
33 Mark
34 --