From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Managing CPU usage when doing emerges
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:26:13
1 I've been extremely busy lately and have let my updates get way behind.
2 Part of that is my need to keep kde-libs-3.5 on my system for K3b, etc,
3 part of that is just too much else to do.
4
5 The problem I've encountered is when I try to do an update while I'm
6 working, my system can slow to a crawl, on a big compile usually. I've
7 tried using nice to manage how much CPU the compile gets so I can
8 function while it's building, but it's killing the output so I can't see
9 what's going on.
10
11 Is there another way to use nice, or to fix that problem? Or another
12 way to manage CPU usage during an emerge?
15 Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
16
17 Mark Haney
18 Sr. Systems Administrator
19 ERC Broadband