From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Watch out for dhcpcd-2.0.4
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 13:06:22
1 Rudmer van Dijk posted <200604081930.36350.rudmer.van.dijk@××××××.nl>,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:30:36 +0200:
3
4 > I synced this morning and amongst the updates was dhcpcd-2.0.4
5 > just now I rebooted my machine and I couldn't get an ip-address from my
6 > cable-modem... reverting to dhcpcd-2.0.3 solved my problem.
7 >
8 > I re-emerged dhcpcd-2.0.4 before reverting to the previous version and I
9 > couldn't see any compile errors...
10
11 What version of baselayout are you running? Are you on ~arch there also,
12 and have baselayout-1.12.0_pre17 (or better, I haven't synced today)?
13
14 >From the baselayout changelog:
15
16 *baselayout-1.12.0_pre17 (07 Apr 2006)
17
18 07 Apr 2006; Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
19 +baselayout-1.12.0_pre17.ebuild:
20 New release - load of changes! Quick summary.
21 resolv.conf management punted to resolvconf-gentoo
22 net modules helpers.d punted
23 - means you'll probably need ~ARCH of your dhcp client
24 udev coldplug support.
25
26 BTW, that means you should probably be running an updated udev as well,
27 particularly if you run coldplug, as it's integrated in udev now (and
28 consequently blocks the separate package coldplug).
29
30 Be sure you've etc-updated everything, too, as between the three updates,
31 there are enough changes to break your system in a variety of ways, if you
32 haven't updated the config to work with the new packages. There /are/
33 quite a few changes, and some of them change the files in /etc enough that
34 failing to do appropriately merge the changes /will/ break things!
35
36 As for dhcpcd itself, I too have it merged, but don't use it under normal
37 circumstances, as I run a static IP behind a rather old router. The
38 dhcpcd and a few other packages are there only as backup, in the hopefully
39 unlikely event I have to go back to dialup on short enough notice I don't
40 have time to grab the sources and merge them before I lose broadband, or
41 in case the router gives up the ghost and I can't get a new one right away
42 for some reason.
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
48 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list