From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: monolithic kernel warning
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 00:55:24
1 Antoine Martin <antoine@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 49137D33.5090006@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Thu, 06 Nov 2008
3 23:26:43 +0000:
4
5 > I often use monolithic kernels and I would like to get rid of the
6 > multiple boot warnings about /lib/modules/whatever directory being
7 > missing. Somewhere early in the boot could just mkdir && depmod -a, I'm
8 > just not sure where.
9
10 Do you have the modules service in the boot runlevel? If you're running
11 a monolithic kernel, perhaps you should remove it. (It may also be
12 necessary to change your CONFIG_PROTECT and CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK to
13 prevent it coming back on upgrades, and maybe even touch an empty file as
14 appropriate so the config protection works on it. I believe I did that
15 with some service file at one point, but don't remember which one it was,
16 now.) Of course, you may also need to kill the "needs modules"
17 dependencies in various other services.
18
19 FWIW I'm running the still far from stable baselayout-2/openrc setup, and
20 have been for some time, so I've long forgotten the details on stable
21 baselayout and therefore can't easily get too detailed in my answer, but
22 the above is what I'd try first in an attempt to deal with it, here.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman `