From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] System crashes when idle [SOLUTION(?)]
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:58:13
1 On Friday 08 June 2007 10:19:08 Sebastian Redl wrote:
2 > Michael Ulm wrote:
3 > > In xorg.conf, in the monitor section, I was missing the line
4 > > Options="DPMS"
5 > >
6 > > I'll still have to research how leaving out this option could lead to
7 > > crashes, so I appreciate any insight this group may give.
8 >
9 > Since practically every monitor supports this, and since it's
10 > practically always enabled, it may be that other code paths of X.org are
11 > insufficiently tested, causing the server to crash when it wants to put
12 > the monitor into a power saver mode. That's my best guess.
13
14 My experience doesn't match this. I've had to remove the DPMS option from my
15 xorg.conf to prevent lockups. Those only happened if I left the KDM login
16 screen up until the screen blanker cut in, but then the only way out was a
17 hard reset.
18
19 Apart from wanting my machine to do only what I tell it to, and I'm quite
20 capable of switching my monitor off when I'm not using it, I think it's
21 dangerous for any system to make assumptions about what facilities will be
22 required in any particular case.
23
24 My hardware is an nVidia GeForce 7300 GS driving an Iiyama AU4831D screen,
25 and the X nv driver comes from x11-base/xorg-x11-7.2. Or sometimes I play
26 with the nVidia closed-source drivers, but as far as I know that doesn't
27 affect the lockups.
30 Rgds
31 Peter Humphrey
32 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93