From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] GDM hates me
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 19:14:47
1 Am Sonntag 13 Mai 2007 20:14 schrieb Peter Davoust:
2 > Ok, while I realize that GDM cannot "hate" me, I've been trying to ditch
3 > SuSE10.2 for the past day, and when I install Gentoo, then reboot, it boots
4 > properly, init launches everything it needs to, and then the screen goes
5 > blank. I wait for a while, press the touchpad enable/disable button (it has
6 > a light and if it ceases to function I know my OS has crashed), and it's
7 > working. Then I wait a while, and still nothing. I try ctrl+alt+ backspace,
8 > and that's when the fun starts. It crashes, completely locked up, at a
9 > totally black screen. Only the lcd backlight is on. I've tried this with
10 > Gentoo and Fedora, and Elive and Xandros do the same thing on livecd's. I'm
11 > thinking gdm is causing my problems, so just for fun I tried Fedora sans
12 > Gnome and only KDE, but alas: squat. It did the exact same thing. This
13 > really ticks me off, because I've once again built up my appreciation for
14 > Gentoo, and I'm ready to try it again, but it's failing. Not only that, but
15 > every other distro I try fails me too, except SuSE, and I don't want to be
16 > stuck with it for the next few weeks. I have a Compaq Presario v6000, amd
17 > Turion64 x2, Nvidia graphics card, 120 gig hard disk with a good 20 gig
18 > free. 2 gig ram. An interesting thing is that the Gentoo livecd boots just
19 > fine, but it, as I understand, uses xdm as it's login manager. Help?
20 > Please?
21 >
22 > -Peter
23
24 Hi Peter!
25
26 Anything interesting in /var/log ?
27
28 If xdm works, you can stay with it. Just follow this guide [1] and when you do
29 the last step, set it to xdm and not to gdm.
30
31 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnome-config.xml