From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: eselect problems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:17:00
1 2008/11/25 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
3 > 5bdc1c8b0811241446s7b7b01e7qba78f4e6de060a38@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:46:35 -0800:
5 >
6 >>> Personally, I default to ~arch, and unmask hard-masked packages either
7 >>> in- tree or from various overlays from time to time as well.
8 >>
9 >> Where do you do this? In /etc/make.conf? I've never run a machine like
10 >> that but would be interested in at least seeing how many packages this
11 >> machine would have to rebuild if I went there.
12 >
13 > Yes, I set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~amd64 (which automatically includes stable
14 > amd64 as well, as shown by an emerge --info) in /etc/make.conf. You'd be
15 > surprised at how far out of date stable arch is in some cases. Of course
16 > in other cases, generally mature and real slow moving packages, the
17 > latest version available has long been stable on most or all archs (see
18 > below).
19 >
20 if i recall corectly in the past some packages that were under amd64 only needed
21 also accept keywords amd64 near ~amd64. has this changed lately? usually the
22 latest includes the former but sometimes when the packages are just amd64 and
23 no ~amd64 ones i remember that i needed to add amd64 also in the keywords.
24
25 >> Generally I've always run stable and then never shied away from having a
26 >> larger set of file in my package.keywords file to get what I think I
27 >> want to run.
28 >
29 > With ~arch by default, you normally have very few packages listed in
30 > package.keywords. There /may/ be a few individual packages that you
31 > choose to stay with stable on, but at least here, I don't use
32 > package.keywords for that but rather, package.mask, and mask whatever
33 > individual version I'm having problems with, thereby forcing portage back
34 > to a previous version, whether that's stable or an earlier ~arch version.
35 >
36 i found out that is better to have a less long package.mask instead of
37 a long package.unmask.
38 it's faster to controll the stuff in your pc.
39
40 >> I don't think that running 'stable' anymore really means stable. package
41 >> management has (IMO, really) gotten rather arbitrary over the last 2
42 >> years to the extent that I know of multiple people who have left the
43 >> distro because stable packages are really broken. It's hard on some
44 >> people with certain workload models (say a professional recording
45 >> studio) to run stable, do updates, find new software is broken, and then
46 >> have to downgrade. Lost time is lost money. I know of at least 4 that
47 >> have moved onto other prepacked distros in the last year. Disappointing.
48 >
49 > I've heard that before, but as I run ~arch by default, I obviously have
50 > no personal experience to go on. What I believe happens is that devs by
51 > definition will be running ~arch on many of their boxes, and that while
52 > they are supposed to and I'm sure do actually test on a stable box before
53 > marking stable, the test sample size is by practical reality relatively
54 > small, and sometimes, when the package hits the larger stable user base,
55 > there /will/ be the occasional configuration that breaks, because there
56 > was simply no case of it in the tested sample base.
57 >
58 if there's the lack of testing devs for going into stable i don't
59 really know if it worths
60 to continue keeping this distinction. maybe it would be better to have something
61 like a hardened branch in which to go with only stable and secure
62 stuff that gets
63 updated rarely but that can be used as production system. more like the fedora
64 red hat enterprise approach, where red hat is very stable and not
65 updated very often
66 if not for security reasons and fedora that gets the new stuff.
67
68 > At least Gentoo stable isn't /that/ bad! We got our updates and the GLSA
69 > out, and the old/vulnerable versions hard/security masked and then
70 > removed. But perhaps you get the idea why I don't find stable a choice
71 > particularly usable for me personally at least, now. Of course I'm
72 > closer to pan upstream than anything else, but knowing what I know about
73 > stale stable packages often lacking all the fixes (security and
74 > otherwise) of the latest upstream version with pan, it has only made me
75 > more of a confirmed ~arch user than I would have been otherwise.
76 >
77 well, glsa sometimes aren't marked right. i still have some glsa that
78 get out from time to time that
79 have already been fixed. an example is unace.
82 dott. ing. beso