From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor?
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2022 16:43:41
1 On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 1:11 AM Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <
2 tdtemccna@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Subject: Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor?
5 >
6 > Good day from Singapore,
9 Hello back from Tucson
10
11 > Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor?
14 Most certainly yes. I run Kubuntu on a 5950X and it runs fine. There's
15 no reason Gentoo wouldn't, with enough work, would work
16 well.
17
18 > I have a friend who is very rich. He wants to build/DIY a desktop
19 > computer based on AMD Ryzen 9 5000 series 16-core processor.
20
21 If your friend (or is it you) doesn't already know how to install and
22 maintain Gentoo then IMHO starting with Gentoo would be a big
23 mistake. As an alternative he could install Kubuntu, or some other
24 Ubuntu flavor, make sure the hardware is working, and then
25 blow it away and go to Gentoo if he (or you) decide it's worth
26 the pain/pleasure ratio.
27
28 Good luck,
29 Mark