From: Dieter Ries <clip2@×××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [SOLVED] Re: URGENT: No more fonts after xorg changes
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:04:49
1 Am Sonntag 03 Dezember 2006 16:48 schrieb Michael Weyershäuser:
2 > Dieter Ries wrote:
3 > > The problem I encountered was, that when I tried to start X with 8776, I
4 > > got the following error message:
5 > >
6 > > API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has the version 1.0.9629 but this
7 > > X module has the version 1.0-8776. Please make sure that the kernel
8 > > module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same Version.
9 > >
10 > > And this even occurred after emerge -C nvidia-drivers etc. Now I got it
11 > > back working with uninstalling the NVIDIA.<bla>.run package manually, and
12 > > then unmerging nvidia-drivers, and remerging nvidia-drivers. So it seems
13 > > that this BETA driver from NVIDIA behaves different from the former
14 > > versions.
15 >
16 > Did you unload the nvidia kernel module after uninstalling the 9629
17 > drivers? This one stays loaded until you either reboot or do a "rmmod
18 > nvidia".
19
20 yes I did, no effect
23 > The morale of the story: If you have an error message and want help,
24 > post the exact error message, not some summary what you think it says ;)
25
26 this is quite complicated if you have the error messages in the console and
27 your browser, nearly without fonts in X. But now its working again, and so
28 theres no problem. Thank you anyway,
29
30 cu
31 Dieter