From: Brandon Edens <brandon@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] CFLAGS for Core2?
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:55:08
1 Sorry for the delay Vladimir.
2
3 Riced out is slang borrowed from hot-rodding. I've read people (those using
4 other GNU/Linux distributions) refer to Gentoo users as ricers. Its sort of a
5 derogatory term, though I kind of take pride in it. Using "tweaked out" USE
6 flags will probably not result in hardware damage. You can break hardware but I
7 don't think you're going to do it through USE flags. Instead you'd most likely
8 experience random segfaults and other software glitchiness.
9
10 So, back to my friend, he was ricing his box and it ended up biting him several
11 times. I think one time it was from filesystem corruption through power outage
12 and usage of XFS. Another time he used experimental USE flags and ended up with
13 unstable installation of gcc/glibc. He's been a bit saner nowadays (I think its
14 a lack of time). Its all a bit funny because I now use that very same machine to
15 house my personal website.
16
17 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ricer
18