From: Justin Krejci <jus@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] firewall
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:27:57
Firestarter to me was like using a ZoneAlarm type of windows firewall program.
It was very super easy to configure but not very flexible. I could not figure
out how to specify UDP vs TCP on rules. This seemed like a great program for
your average run of the mill home/desktop user.

For a GUI I settled on Kmyfirewall as it was extraordinarily easy to configure
and use once I learned the basics of how iptables worked. I also wrote a perl
script to automatically block IP addresses of hosts that do brute force SSH
attempts. The IP addresses are automatically unblocked after 1 day. Every
time a change is made it sends out an email. This has really helped to keep
my log files cleaner instead of seeing 500 failed login attempts in a 3 hour
span from one IP address, then multiply that by 1-5 IP addresses per day.

Note Kmyfirewall is very nice but is still considered beta and it shows but it
is not broken in any way that I can tell, just the interface has a couple of
small bugs AFAICT.