From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] gcc 4.1 upgrade - bad desktop interactivity anyone?
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:17:12
1 Hi,
2 I'm just curious whether anyone besides me is noticing their
3 machine feeling somewhat sluggish since doing the gcc-4.1 upgrade?
4 Mine seems ot be using a lot of memory. Alt-tabbing between windows
5 seems slow. Ethernet traffic in my browser is causing pretty
6 noticeable interruptions in things like MythTV.
7
8 I noticed that the rtirq scripts were not setting one of my sound
9 cards priorities correctly after the upgrade so I changed the config
10 file and fixed that, but I don't think it should have changed at all.
11
12 The machine is still quite usable, but it doesn't feel as snappy as
13 it did last week.
14
15 I made no changes in /etc/make.conf for the upgrade. Everything is
16 pretty basic as far as I can tell:
17
18 CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O2 -pipe"
19 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
20 USE="dri radeon mmx mmxext sse sse2 3dnow 3dnowext gnome kde -esd
21 -arts ladspa nptl nptlonly audiofile gimp gimpprint ppds usb alsa cdr
22 dvd dvdr dvdread jack jack-tmpfs fluidsynth tcltk sndfile v4l v4l2
23 mysql flac xscreensaver -samba i8x0 mythtv apache2 -lirc mjpeg xvid
24 real cjk unicode vorbis ogg truetype java -eds"
25 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
26 MAKEOPTS="-j2"
27
28 3GHz AMD64 with 1GB & NVidia chipset/SATA drives.
29
30 Mark
31 --
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list