From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: AMD64 linking issues.
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:21:12
1 Tres Melton posted <1121406115.808.429.camel@×××××××××.org>, excerpted
2 below, on Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:41:55 -0600:
3
4 > "equery belongs kio_http.so" returned both
5 > kde-base/kdelibs-3.3.2-r9 and kde-base/kdelibs-3.4.1-r1. Do I even need
6 > 3.3.2 if I have 3.4.1? Just to be safe with some of the older packages I
7 > didn't --unmerge it. Manually trying to re-emerge kde-base/kdelibs
8 > ("emerge -avDt --newuse kde-base/kdelibs") yielded a number of "Error:
9 > libgd was not built with FreeType font support" which could be an insight
10 > into the problem as media-libs/libgd is a part of the mplayer32 package
11 > and not available as a 64 bit package. In my opinion kdelibs should not be
12 > linking against a 32 bit binary library. Anyway, that is where it stands
13 > at the moment, re-emerging kdelibs didn't change anything.
14
15 Do you need both kdelibs 3.3.2-rX and 3.4.1-rX??
16
17 Depends on what you /want/ installed. AFAIK KDE is slotted, so KDE 3.3
18 and 3.4 can be installed in parallel. Note that they install into
19 /usr/kde/3.3 and /usr/kde/3.4, and you can keep separate user settings
20 for them as well, by keeping separate ~/.kde3.3 and 3.4 dirs.
21
22 I've always ensured I have only the latest installed, to prevent any
23 strange complications (maybe related to the complication at hand??), altho
24 I'd possibly keep KDE 3.5.x (which will be the latest 3.x release by then)
25 around, with qt3 of course, when I first start testing KDE4 betas (on
26 Qt4.x, naturally) sometime next year. (I remember the 2.x to 3.x
27 upgrades... Note that KDE-non-core apps may well not be upgraded in sync
28 and remain at KDE/Qt 3.x versions for awhile...)
29
30 Depending on what else you have installed and your other settings, it may
31 in fact be your old KDE version that's being run.
32
33 Anyway, if you've no specific reason to keep the old slotted versions
34 around, might as well unmerge them. Keep in mind that you /may/ have to
35 remerge KDE-non-core apps, or run fix_libtool_files.sh or the like, after
36 removing the old versions, for things like k3b, klibido, krename, kmplayer
37 and kbear (the non-core KDE apps I run here).
38
39 You may also wish to run emerge --pretend --prune, do **NOT** forget that
40 --pretend in this case, and take a LOOK at the LIST it spits out. That
41 will be all the packages INCLUDING SLOTTED PACKAGES where more than one
42 version is merged. **DO** **NOT** **JUST** **UNMERGE** **THEM**
43 **ALL**!!! Many of them will be packages (like autoconf, automake,
44 perhaps gcc, even gtk+-1.x vs. 2.x and the like) that you *WANT* to keep
45 multiple versions around. However, that list should give you a starting
46 point for checking if you have any other KDE 3.3 stuff around, and will
47 show some other things you might have forgotten, as well. (I just ran it
48 here, checking, for the first time in awhile, and among other things I see
49 some old lm_sensors that I think are safely removable, and an old python,
50 now that the new one has proven stable at least against portage, anyway.)
51 Run revdep-rebuild after that to clean up the loose end dependencies left
52 around, and little if anything should be broken, PROVIDED your original
53 unmerge choices weren't insane. If worse comes to worse, remerging the
54 affected app should fix things. (Here's another place FEATURES=buildpkg
55 can come in rather handy. It's a very nice safety net to have! =8^)
56
57 As for trying to link against a 32-bit binary libqd, you are correct,
58 that's rather strange.
59
60 Note that I don't have mplayer installed at all, only xinelib, which I use
61 as the backend for kmplayer. (IIRC it still depends on mplayer, but I
62 package.provided that, and configure it to use xine instead.) I read
63 somewhere sometime ago that xinelib just seems to work for many folks that
64 were previously jumping thru hoops to get mplayer working, and had found
65 that to be the case back on (32-bit) Mandrake, so after having issues with
66 64-bit mplayer on Gentoo, rather than compromise and run the 32-bit
67 version with proprietaryware binary-only codecs, I installed 64-bit
68 xinelib, and it actually played far more than I expected it to, in 64-bit
69 only mode, so that's what I've kept. (I'm assuming that means that most
70 or all of the codecs it is using are open, that is open code reverse
71 engineered or open spec, or 64-bit shared-object versions wouldn't have
72 been available.)
73
74 Maybe you'll find similar?
75
76 Anyway, after removing the old kdelibs, I'd remerge the new version,
77 and double-check (with readelf or the like) to ensure it is indeed
78 trying to link against the 32-bit version. If so, that's a serious bug
79 that needs filed, if it hasn't been already. As seems to happen
80 frequently around here, I'm a bit out of my depth, again (<sigh>, but also
81 <g>, because that means "a target rich environment" as they say, in terms
82 of learning opportunities =8^). However, that would seem to indicate
83 either that the 64-bit build is looking in 32-bit-land (lib32) when it
84 shouldn't be, or that the *.la files are mixed up and in the wrong
85 location, or both. In any case, it's a serious issue that /might/ apply
86 to /other/ libraries as well, as we move over to a better multilib,
87 creating who knows /what/ sort of havoc, so getting it bugged would seem a
88 /very/ good idea.
93 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
94 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
98 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list