From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hurray! Radeon KMS in 2.6.31
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:55:55
1 Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> posted 4A3A621D.8010207@×××××.com, excerpted
2 below, on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:49:49 +1000:
3
4 > I'd rather say, because laptops are the majority now, dual monitor
5 > support is going to be more important. I (and I'm sure many others)
6 > prefer doing presentations from my own laptop, rather than using the
7 > audience's computers (which always have issues with not having the
8 > appropriate programs, etc; not to mention having to move the
9 > presentation files, which is easier said than done).
10
11 I thought that's what I /was/ saying, with the additional bit that dual
12 desktop display probably never will become the majority, because desktops
13 are losing the majority, so there's no time left for dual desktop
14 displays to become the majority -- the majority is now laptop, and dual
15 display with a laptop is much more common than it ever became on the
16 desktop.
17
18 > One thing that always bugs me is that XRandR requires some
19 > configuration[1] and X restart[2], which is a pity, since doing
20 > presentations means setting up ad-hoc/temporary settings which is just
21 > used for an hour or two, then tearing them apart again then doing that
22 > again the next day, probably on a different venue.
23
24 Well, in theory, you can setup the config once, and as long as the second
25 display plugged in fits within the parameters set in the config, it'll be
26 used as such, no X restart should be needed.
27
28 One of the CRITICAL bits of the config to get it to do that is to set the
29 initial "Section Screen, Subsection Display, Virtual x y" size large
30 enough to accommodate the maximum combined resolution, as I don't believe
31 xorg yet knows how to increase that size once it's started. (But they're
32 actively working on it for later xorg-server releases.) Depending on the
33 desktop environment and how it is configured, that /may/ put stuff
34 offscreen.
35
36 Beyond that, everything should be hotpluggable and dynamically
37 reconfigurable using xrandr or the like. However, one of the problems
38 I've observed so far is that at least the KDE krandrtray and kcontrol/
39 settings applets, and likely few of the other graphical applets,
40 regardless of creator, have the full flexibility xrandr offers. But
41 xrandr is terminal window CLI, you have to read the manpage to groke it,
42 and comparatively few people do that -- they like their GUI controls.
43 FWIW I think the problem is development latency. The RandR spec and
44 featureset is developing quite rapidly in xorg, and while xrandr is kept
45 upto date and shipped with xorg, the graphics widgets aren't, and must be
46 developed and tested against the new xorg and RandR before they can ship,
47 so they're always running behind what's actually available in the latest
48 xorg release.
49
50 Meanwhile, RandR 1.3, available with xorg-server 1.6 (possibly 1.5 but I
51 don't remember for sure), is finally starting to get back in RandR form
52 the features, such as viewport panning, available pre-RandR. When the
53 viewport is smaller than the virtual desktop, panning can be rather
54 useful, even critical, but it simply wasn't available with early RandR
55 versions. RandR 1.3 brings it back, in an even more advanced and
56 flexible form than pre-randr panning, with a lot more configurability.
57 With that, RandR is finally maturing into something actually reasonably
58 useful for non-uniform resolution multi-monitor support. I do hope that
59 the graphical RandR clients catch up and support RandR 1.3 very well, as
60 it does finally seem to be relatively mature, functionally, now.
61
62 Anyway, at least using xrandr, once RandR 1.3 and xorg-server 1.6 hit, as
63 long as you start xorg with a large enough virtual desktop, you should be
64 able to configure everything else without restarting again. I know I've
65 been able to activate and deactivate one or the other of my monitors
66 here, without issue, except that when I reactivate one it starts out in
67 clone mode and I have to run my xrandr script to get the two viewports
68 set back to the normal configuration.
69
70 The other problem is that a lot of apps aren't particularly RandR aware
71 yet, or only expect to be using it with a single monitor, so putting
72 stuff in full-screen mode can have unexpected consequences, as it often
73 changes the resolution for BOTH monitors, and either puts the full-screen
74 app centered between them (but at the size of only one of them, so it's
75 not really full-screen), or clones to both, instead of only cloning to
76 one and leaving the other one alone.
77
78 But that's not xorg's or RandR's problem, that's the application's
79 problem. And with the appropriate scripted and hotkey invoked xrandr
80 calls, as I have setup, it's relatively easy to get the system back to
81 its proper configuration, even when the apps screw it up.
82
83 > Mirrored is okay, but I prefer Xinerama/extended desktop. Now that
84 > OpenOffice 3 starts having support for Presenter View (where the
85 > projector displays the presentation and your laptop's your notes), not
86 > being able to just plug the cable in and have the whole thing set up
87 > automagically is a big loss.
88
89 Indeed. My config is dual monitor desktop and I'm not a "mobile
90 warrior", but I can certainly see the use for that in mobile warrior
91 presentation situations.
92
93 > [1] not to mention I never get all the settings right, either hardware
94 > acceleration or Xinerama. A separate X display is acceptable, but still
95 > no hardware acceleration.
96 > [2] to move between single display to Xinerama and back.
97
98 It'll be nice when the xrandr based graphical monitor/desktop config
99 applets catchup, and Linux/X finally catches up to what MSWindows was
100 doing over a decade ago back with Windows 98! Linux/X has been more
101 flexible in some areas, but unfortunately, that has never been one of
102 them. But it's getting there, FINALLY!
107 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman