From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How do I choose a second window manager?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:42:23
1 On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl> posted
3 > 40bb8d3b0906170618g152b5f8fxc79889f0d6213bf6@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on  Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:18:24 +0200:
5 >
6 >> "The Xfce 4 Appfinder is part of the Xfce 4 Desktop Environment and
7 >> features application search on the whole system. It searches for
8 >> .desktop files based on the freedesktop spec and makes an index of the
9 >> found apps."
10 >>
11 >> Source: xfce website:
12 >> http://www.xfce.org/documentation/4.2/manuals/xfce4-appfinder
13 >>
14 >> Does Gentoo use these .desktop files?
15 >
16 > In general, yes, as it's a freedesktop.org standard now and both KDE and
17 > GNOME use them too.  However, whether individual (non-main-DE) apps
18 > packages include them would depend on either upstream (if it ships, so
19 > will Gentoo in most cases) or the the initiative of the individual Gentoo
20 > package maintainer, if upstream doesn't ship one.
21 >
22 > On the title question, I've never used it, but based on what others have
23 > said and the originally requested features (including an auto-managed
24 > menu), I too would recommend XFCE.  It seems to be /the/ middle ground
25 > between a "full feature" DE and a bare-bones WM, and gets very high
26 > reviews in general.  If I ever decide KDE's not for me any more, or
27 > perhaps for my netbook when I get around to putting Gentoo on it, if I
28 > don't like KDE's performance, I've always thought I'd try XFCE first.
29 >
30 > But on my main machine, at least kde3 has been great.  I can't say the
31 > same for kde4 (yet?), for a couple reasons.  First, one of the big kde4
32 > features is 3D eye candy... that my aging Radeon 9200 can't handle at the
33 > 1920x2400 desktop size I run (it maxes at 2048 each, X and Y), and
34 > without that, there really isn't enough better (and a lot changed enough
35 > I'm not comfortable with it) to upgrade from kde3.  Second, I've so
36 > deeply customized kde3 to my own needs and style, and kde4 is so much
37 > changed, that it's simply different enough that even with full 3D
38 > features, it'd take me awhile to get kde4 setup similarly effectively/
39 > comfortably.
40 >
41 > So, I have both kde3/4 merged, and occasionally run 4 and mess around
42 > some, but for actually doing anything productive, it's kde3 (or the text
43 > console).  Sometime later this year I plan to upgrade to, probably, one
44 > of the later r500 based Radeons (which run thru the x1950 models), and
45 > meanwhile, kde-4.3.0 and likely 4.3.1 will be out, and we'll see how kde4
46 > does then.
47 >
48 > --
49 > Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
50 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
51 > and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman
52
53 I suspect that XFCE might be a good one to look at. Thanks.
54
55 Any thoughts from folks about fvwm?
56
57 thanks to Marc for the pointer to fbpanel. I'll certainly take a look at that.
58
59 cheers,
60 Mark