From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Anyone else running the KDE 3.5-rc1? Trouble with kmail?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:54:11
Hemmann, Volker Armin posted
<200511162032.10112.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>, excerpted
below,  on Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:32:10 +0100:

> On Wednesday 16 November 2005 18:30, Duncan wrote: >> Hemmann, Volker Armin posted >> <200511161606.07866.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>, excerpted >> >> below, on Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:06:07 +0100: >> > So I would suspect some miscompilation by gcc4 ... there are some >> > reasons, that it is still hardmasked ;) >> >> Yes, but usually it's simply that it's stricter and therefore refuses to >> compile whatever. Additionally, KDE 3.5 is supposed to be gcc-4.x tested >> upstream, as they are doing the gcc-4.x fvisibility stuff that had to be >> pulled from kde 3.4.whatever. > > hm, very intersting, but the gcc is the only difference. Hm, or is it the > binutils? > I have > sys-devel/binutils > Latest version available: 2.16.1 > Latest version installed: 2.16.1
sys-devel/binutils Latest version available: 2.16.91.0.1 Latest version installed: 2.16.91.0.1 I'm not sure if it's still hard-masked or if it is now ~arch, but it was hard-masked when I overlayed and keyworded it, as it was a dependency of the (also still hardmasked) gcc-4.x. That's what I met when I said "related" binutils -- I had to unmask both (tho I had a choice of possible binutils versions to unmask and merge) to get gcc4.
>> Everything else seems to be working great, including one thing I had a >> problem with in beta2! =8^) >> > > hm, for me, kde 3.5-beta2 and rc1 are even more stable than any other release > ever. > > I had not one crash or misbehaviour so far - which is very promising.
The beta2 thing wasn't major. It was xmms-kde, a kicker applet to control xmms/noatun/xmpeg. It would launch sometimes, but not others, complaining about a library it couldn't find. Actually, now that I think about it, the problem and why it now works was probably that I needed to run fix_libtool_files.sh, and did so after the -rc1 merge died shortly after initial run. After running fix_libtool_files.sh, the merge finished. xmms-kde probably had a dependency on something configured with an la file that pointed to a stale gcc version, so running the script fixed it as well.
> But if you want to recompile with ggcc3.4 don't you need to recompile qt and > kdelibs too? > I am not sure, but prior experiences with 3.2 and 3.3 told me, that > kdepackages can be pretty annoying if not compiled with the exact same > compiler.
Well, the major problem, is libstdc++. The gcc-4.0 versions are supposed to be generally backward compatible with the 3.4 versions, and I've found it to be generally so. There are occasional issues, but they are usually fixable if one can find the correct combination of 3.4 and 4.0 compiled applications and libraries. Running fix_libtool_files.sh and recompiling the target application often helps, as was apparently the case with xmms-kde, but to do that, you have to know which specific version is causing the error, so you can run it against that version. This of course isn't a big issue with binary distributions where everything in a release is compiled using the same gcc, thus against the same libstdc++. You are correct, however, it can be "annoying", at times. FWIW, I'm now running a gcc-3.4.4 compiled kmail, and no problems yet, but I've only had a few spams come thru since I restarted it, so I can't say the problem's definitely fixed. So far tho, so good (said the guys jumping out of the twin towers as they passed the 10th floor, hopefully this experience ends rather better, and hopefully noone finds this in /too/ bad a taste). -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list