From: ABCD <en.ABCD@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: eselect problems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:49:18
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Duncan wrote:
5 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
6 >>> Yes, I set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~amd64 (which automatically includes stable
7 >>> amd64 as well, as shown by an emerge --info) in /etc/make.conf. You'd
8 >>> be surprised at how far out of date stable arch is in some cases. Of
9 >>> course in other cases, generally mature and real slow moving packages,
10 >>> the latest version available has long been stable on most or all archs
11 >>> (see below).
12 >>>
13 >> if i recall corectly in the past some packages that were under amd64
14 >> only needed also accept keywords amd64 near ~amd64. has this changed
15 >> lately? usually the latest includes the former but sometimes when the
16 >> packages are just amd64 and no ~amd64 ones i remember that i needed to
17 >> add amd64 also in the keywords.
18 >
19 > I'm not saying it can't happen, but if it does, it's certainly a bug,
20 > either of the package (not testing the keyword correctly) or of portage
21 > (not setting it correctly), or possibly of the user (maybe a typo, ~adm64
22 > instead of ~amd64, say).
23 >
24 > Here's what I know:
25 >
26 > From my make.conf:
27 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
28 >
29 > emerge --info |grep ACCEPT
30 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
31 >
32 > So portage is actively adding the amd64 stable keyword, based on the
33 > ~amd64 in make.conf. It has done so since at least whatever portage was
34 > around for 2004.1, which is when I started with Gentoo/~amd64. (As I
35 > switched from Mandrake Cooker for AMD64, I never even seriously
36 > considered stable Gentoo/amd64, and have run ~amd64 from day one.) As I
37 > said, if it didn't work that way for some package, there was a bug
38 > somewhere!
39 >
40 > Also note the wording in the handbook and the Code Listing 1.1 found here
41 > (link should be a single line, in case I forget to come back and unwrap
42 > this before sending or if it wraps on your end):
43 >
44 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?
45 > part=3&chap=3#doc_chap1
48 To clear up any misconceptions, setting ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is similar to
49 setting USE - unless the magic keyword "-*" appears, portage will add
50 the previous contents of ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to the value you set. As the
51 amd64 keyword is already set in profiles/arch/amd64/make.defaults, the
52 final setting ends up as "amd64 ~amd64". If you were to, for some reason
53 set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86 ~amd64" in make.conf, the final value would be
54 "amd64 ~amd64 ~x86" - which is not what you would want. (I, of course,
55 strongly recommend NOT doing that, but that is what would result)
56
57 - --
58 ABCD