From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: gcc compile failed after 2005.1-r1 instalation [OT- html posts]
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:39:50
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Marco Matthies [mailto:marco-ml@×××.net]
3 Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 12:05 AM
4 To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: gcc compile failed after 2005.1-r1
6 instalation [OT- html posts]
7
8 * Bob Young wrote:
9 >> I know that many share this opinion, and although I don't want to start
10 a
11 >> flame war, I do think there are some valid counter points in favor of
12 html.
13 >> Everyone is of course free to filter content based on his or her own
14 >> preferences. However most of the reasons given against posting html
15 aren't
16 >> really all that strong. In fact the only thing
17 http://www.emailreplies.com/
18 >> suggests is that recipients "*might* only be able to receive plain text
19 >> emails." It goes on to note: "Most email clients however... are able to
20 >> receive HTML and rich text messages." It's pretty rare that a modern
21 email
22 >> client can't deal with html. I would argue that the very few desktops
23 not
24 >> using some flavor of GUI should not force a limiting "least common
25 >> denominator" type policy.
26
27 > Using plain text makes it much easier for a screen reader to read out a
28 > message to a blind person. It works with every email client, even over
29 > a slow ssh link. It's the standard, and for a good reason.
30
31 It's a trivial task to extract the plain text from an html message. What's
32 wrong with having the email client parse out the plain text and feed that to
33 the screen reader?
34
35 It's the *standard* because there wasn't anything else available in the
36 beginning, that shouldn't mean it *must* remain that way throughout all
37 eternity. At some point we should allow ourselves some more of the nuances
38 and subtleties of communication that exist in other forms of human
39 communication.
43 >> The other common reason given against html is storage space/bandwidth
44 >> issues. This is a weak argument also; in cost per megabyte storage is
45 >> dirt-cheap. [...]
46
47 >Take the worlds email traffic, add 20% to it -- i'm pretty sure you
48 >wouldn't regard that as insignificant.
49
50 The slight increase in size of "valid" email traffic would still be totally
51 dwarfed by the volume of spam, probably by a factor of 100 to 1 or better.
52 Not to mention the fact that some portion of valid email traffic is
53 *already* html.
56 >> Lastly there are some things that are just easier to communicate in a
57 html
58 >> format, diagrams and tables come to mind, we've all seen ASCII diagrams
59 of
60 >> various things and had to stare at them trying to decipher what was the
61 >> author actually trying to communicate. Even in a mostly text message,
62 bold,
63 >> italic, enlarged/reduced, or colored text used for emphasis or
64 de-emphasis
65 >> can make communication much more clear. In short I just think that there
66 is
67 >> this "knee-jerk" reaction to html email in the FLOSS community, and it
68 isn't
69 >> justified by an objective evaluation.
70
71 >Honestly, how many emails on public lists (such as gentoo-amd64) do you
72 >know that make good use of html? In my experience, this is less than
73 >1%. But let us pretend for a second that people practised tasteful use
74 >of html to enhance their messages as you suggested. The problem is then
75 >that everyone uses a slightly different style, and that looks ugly when
76 >flipping from message to message -- just imagine a magazine with every
77 >page in a different layout. This does not increase readability at all.
78
79 Even with plain text, some people reply at the top, some at the bottom, some
80 inline. Some people don't trim quotes, some don't quote at all, and many
81 don't bother to spell check, or even re-read the message to see if the
82 sentences are coherent. Does anybody chide someone for a poorly constructed
83 plain text message? Html is just an additional tool that *can* aid
84 communication, can it be mis-used, of course, I don't think that's
85 justification for prohibiting its use.
88 > Besides, tables work fine in ascii, /adding/ *emphasis* _works_ as
89 >well, and if you cannot manage ascii art you can always attach an image
90 >if you must, just like you would do in html. Hyperlinks also work fine,
91 >just put them inline http://foo.bar/ or reference [1] them for later use.
92
93 I'm not saying that tables or emphasis aren't possible in ASCII, I'm saying
94 that they are much easier and more visually appealing in html. For example
95 how would you communicate the information in "The Best Way Home" example at
96 http://deming.eng.clemson.edu/pub/tutorials/qctools/flowm.htm using plain
97 text? And which do you think is easier and more clearly conveys the
98 information?
99
100 >P.S. Somehow your quoting mechanism doesn't work correctly, making it
101 >hard to distinguish between your answer and the part of the message you
102 >are quoting.
103
104 I've added the quotes.
105 Regards