From: Miguel Filipe <miguel.filipe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] ~* or -* Keyworded packages (cannot force install of "-*" GCC4)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:55:44
Hi all,

Thanks for the reply!

On 12/23/05, Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote:
> > Hi, > > Miguel Filipe wrote: > > I've been trying to emerge gcc 4.0.2-r2, messing with > > /etc/portage/package.unmask & /etc/portage/package.keywords > > without success.. > > > > the portage man page says that if a package has -* is know to be broken > > on all arches otherwise mentioned. > > So is 4.0.1, 4.0.0, 4.1-snapshot.. > > > > I would expect it to be at least marked unstable "~amd64 .." > > I hope you really know what you are doing (or trying to do). gcc-4.0 isn't > broken, but it is hard-masked because there are *major* changes, meaning > you > should rebuild your whole system with it once you upgraded. That's why it > is not > yet ~amd64 and we want to give it a long testing period. Another issue is > that > gcc-4.0 is even stricter than 3.4, meaning lots of packages won't build > anymore. > That's why we marked it -*, because we don't want to disappoint normal > users who > aren't familiar with writing patches. And those who are, are clever enough > to > unmask a hard masked package, it's not that hard after all.
My situation is the following: - I'm aware of the diferences. - I'm used to recurring to gcc-config for switching between compiler versions. - I'm a software developer and _need_ gcc4 for development & testing my project's code (I for one, need to have gcc4 to make shure my code is gcc4 compatible :) ) - I'm aware of /etc/portage/package.* files, and respective man pages :) - The machine is a testing machine, has to be kind of stable, but I allready hand pick a couple of ~amd64 (cmucl, sbcl, java, gcc ..some others). My main gripe is that I simply cannot install gcc4.0.2-r2.., here's what I tried...: ---- miguel@feynman ~ $ sudo fgrep gcc /etc/portage/package.* /etc/portage/package.keywords:# gcc4 /etc/portage/package.keywords:sys-devel/gcc -* /etc/portage/package.unmask:=sys-devel/gcc-4.0.2-r2 miguel@feynman ~ $ sudo fgrep KEYWORDS /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc- 4.0.2-r2.ebuild KEYWORDS="-*" miguel@feynman ~ $ emerge gcc -pv These are the packages that I would merge, in order: Calculating dependencies ...done! [ebuild R ] sys-devel/gcc-3.4.4-r1 (-altivec) -bootstrap -boundschecking* -build +fortran -gcj +gtk -hardened -ip28 -mudflap (-multilib) -multislot (-n32) (-n64) +nls -nocxx -nopie -nossp -objc -objc-gc -vanilla 46 kB Total size of downloads: 46 kB miguel@feynman ~ $ ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="-*" emerge =sys-devel/gcc-4.0.2-r2 -pv These are the packages that I would merge, in order: Calculating dependencies !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=sys-devel/gcc-4.0.2-r2" have been masked. !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request: - sys-devel/gcc-4.0.2-r2 (masked by: -* keyword) For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook. miguel@feynman ~ $ emerge =sys-devel/gcc-4.0.2-r2 -pv These are the packages that I would merge, in order: Calculating dependencies !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=sys-devel/gcc-4.0.2-r2" have been masked. !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request: - sys-devel/gcc-4.0.2-r2 (masked by: -* keyword) For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook. --- Conclusion: cannot selectively (force) install gcc4.0.2 Solution: editing the ebuild, and adding a "~amd64", but I guess that the porpuse /etc/portage/package.* infrastructure is to avoid that. I also think that I had ocasions where editing the ebuild would prevent form emerging that same ebuild (some kind of ebuild tampering prevention).
> gentoo seems to have major problems in keeping up with the public > > releases.. its starting to look like debian stable.... > > Is this a 'i want to help'?
I have contributed in the early start (before 1.0), and after that with bug squashing, but nothing impressive (quality or quantity wise). But simply, I don-t have time to nurse my install.. I wan't it to work.. that why I'm following amd64 stable + very few cherry picked ~amd64.
> also.. I don't see the point in having 3 types of tags: stable, > > unstable, broken.. maybe the same point of (stable, testing, unstable.. > > ala debian) > > You're mixing up quite unrelated things. -* is generally used for packages > that > are only available for one or two arch (typical example: binary packages). > When > it means 'broken', then it is only in the tree because it makes it easier > for > devs to share ebuilds which they (and of course the 'advanced' users) can > test.
Okay, that makes sense.
> Nevermind, basically, I'm using gentoo since 1.0rc6 and starting to be > > disapointed by the slowness of having fresh software available.. > > If you feel more adventurous, use package.(unmask|keywords). It's a > wonderful > tool to let the user decide himself what is stable enough for him.
doing that allready.
> gnome 2.12 came out 7 of september, maybe when gnome 2.14 is out I can > > find it keyworded "amd64".. > > Again, package.keywords if you agree. Since 1.0rc6, Gentoo has changed a > lot. > We've got a huge user base, and we really don't feel like getting the same > bug > reported 10 times just because we marked some untested piece of software > stable. > It won't make most users very happy either, especially those who want a > system > that 'just works'. > > > In conclusion, package mantainance needs a new organizational way to > scale.. > > Or should I simply move to ~amd64, just like any debian user sets its > > system to testing without thinking twice, just after the install. > > Moving to ~amd64 could be the right thing for you. But if you're running > ~amd64 > and get tons of bugs, don't bitch. Personally, I think everybody who runs > ~amd64 > should be filing bugs whenever he hits one. If you don't want to do that, > keep > your system stable. > > Regards, > > -- > Simon Stelling > Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead > blubb@g.o > -- > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list > >
-- Miguel Sousa Filipe